Friday, June 12, 2009

I am working on our home education list for the rest of the year. I bought some books at the used curriculum sale last week and some more at CBD. I am reading through some more "how to books" and gaining lots of ideas. I like to school til about Thanksgiving and then "take time off" in November and December. I try to make sure we read a lot and watch some good educational videos during that time. I am trying to mesh up Charlotte Mason, Classical Education and the different learning styles of my children. I am working on some more "home ec" stuff. See my posts in the sidebar for Maiden Karly, Responsible Adrian, and Gracious Kelsie and Tamara. There are some new pics coming soon, I promise.
Jonathan is begging to "do school" so I have a little Bible craft and letter he colors. Also lots of reading. I want to incorporate more classical music and art history study this year. Karly is heading swiftly out of the grammar stage into the logic stage so I am looking into some logic stuff for her. On top of everything I am trying to make school more fun!

My head hurts! :)

I have prayed and prayed over our Math curriculum. I am comfortable with it and my kids do well with it... even though they hate Math. Sometimes I read that I should shove the Math curriculum because they hate it, sometimes I read that if it works we should stick with it. I would dread trying to start a new Math curriculum. When I weigh all the pros and cons I am thinking I will just stick with it. I think they hate it because it requires them to think.. I don't think another Math curriculum would fix that. LOL
For Grammar I wonder if I should switch, but I love the comprehensiveness of the Grammar program we are using. I tried a different one this year and it was just not it. I know with this one they are learning what they need and it's pretty low maintenance on my part. With five kids I treasure low maintenance. Then I read about all the fun Grammar programs. I think for now I will stick with what I have The kids don't mind it too much. The part they don't like is the writing, but that's Grammar..right?
Handwriting I will keep the same. They only do the Kindergarten, first grade, transition, and last book.
I love copywork so we will keep that.



We are not reading nearly enough. I have a Literature Pocket (Nursery Rhymes) coming for Tamara and Adrian. I am doing a Beatrix Potter study with Kelsie and a Literature Pocket (Fiction books) with Karly. On top of that I am checking out biographies, classic fairy tales, and other fun read aloud books from the library to read aloud during the day.
Our science and history was getting dull and boring. I have a new science project program and am adding something to our history program to spice it up a bit. On top of that we are going to read everything we can get our hands on for the science or history we are studying.


For Tamara and Adrian I am adding in a structured Phonics program. I was trying to get away with not doing it, but Tamara especially needs some more help. We are also reading a whole lot with them. A. Whole. Lot. They have a simple school day of one math worksheet, an addition fact sheet, three pages in Explode the Code, a handwriting sheet, and soon a Phonics sheet.
I picked up a new Spelling program I think I am going to try with Karly and Kelsie. It's very low pressure and seems to be really good. We will try it. My girls are HORRIBLE spellers. :)
I am sitting here blogging because I don't want to go play with lesson plans and schedules anymore. I need to because July is going to be when we start most of the new stuff.
July is kind of the start of the second half of our year. It seems weird, but I get pumped around this time. We have the used curriculum sale, the state convention (which I have yet to get to), and the regional convention (which I enjoy going to!). All of that works to get me back in the groove. Around Thanksgiving I really want a break, but then there's the new year and it's time to get pumped again. LOL
I love home education..even if it makes my head hurt! :)



Be Blessed!

6 comments:

  1. Cheryl (CoppersWife) and Kendra (Preschoolers and Peace) have been doing "Marvelous Monday's" where they review different homeschool curriculum by subject. I have learned so much from their posts. I am switching from Saxon Math to Horizons for Zach this year. Charlotte is still in the middle of her Math program...She has been in this level for a year and a half...just does not get it. Once she finishes, I will switch her to Horizons too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a good post. The old-time pictures are lovely too! I appreciate your sharing about the upcoming school year. I am at a different stage right now in mine and have to re-start after a short break (because of various family difficulties -health and such) I have a 20 year old daughter living at home and she is a college student. As I was reading your post just now, I remembered that she gets a "syllabus" for each of her class subjects and I thought that would be a fun idea for me to do with my youngest three (ages 16, 14 and 11). Thank you for the motivation.
    Blessings
    Mrs. White in Vermont

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, speaking of Math, in additional to a regular textbook, I also use Amish Math books. They are wonderful. I don't know why I refer them as "Amish" but I believe when I bought them, It was listed that many Amish use them in their schools. Anyway, they are called "Strayer-Upton practical arithmetic" It is a three text -book series (they are small). The books were first published in 1934.
    We do a couple of these pages each school day, in addition to our normal math work.

    Blessings
    Mrs. White

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sure is a big job to put the upcoming year together. I'm doing it now little by little. It's fun but sometimes nerve-wracking.

    Incidentally, I am going to use Math-U-See with my guys. I love that there is DVD instruction.

    We are going to do 3 months on and 1 month off, 3 months on with 1 month off, etc,...

    I am enjoying your blog, just found it today. I like your attitude, and how you keep telling yourself the truth no matter how things look. I have to do that myself.

    Amish workbooks and readers are also mentioned in More Charlotte Mason Education by Catherine Levison. They are called Pathway Readers...just a side note. I know the discussion was about math. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your photos. It's cool to read about what you're doing with homeschool. I'm halfway through the first Charlotte Mason book in The Original Homeschooling series. Quite inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post! I am such a curriculum aficionado, yet I always tend to waiver about what looks best for my little ones. I really do believe that there are so many wonderful choices out there, which can be good and bad. I am Charlotte Masonish/Classical in my educational approach. We are trying Horizons math this year with my 6 yo. Copywork is terrific. Do you use narration in your homeschool too? I have just started doing it, but not often enough.I am going to try the Language Lessons books Queen Homeschool for some language arts. Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete