Friday, February 5, 2010

Learning, always learning.


I started insulin back in January at my first OB appointment. I pretty much knew it was coming because I'd read everything about pregnancy and diabetes. I also knew because my blood sugars were out of control no matter what I did. That was actually my first clue to being pregnant. Although at the time I did not know it was a clue.
It's been a struggle. My BS went from over 200 to the low 100s on most days. Trying to adjust to eating so my BS stays in the right place, not to high and not to low, is a whole new world.
My fasting is supposed to be 90 or less and my two hours after a meal is supposed to be 120 or less. I was having a hard time with my fasting and after breakfast.
I take Insulin regular and slow release (NPH). With the regular I have to eat within 15m or my sugar will bottom out. The slow release starts working within about 6-8 hours. I take one of each before breakfast and was supposed to be taking one of each before dinner. The problem I ran into taking the NPH after dinner was that I would crash to around 50 between the hours of 3-4 am. So I would have to eat. Then my fasting would be high when I took it at 8-9am.
Now, what does crashing feel like? Most the time not too bad. I can feel it coming on. I get a little light headed, my heart speeds up some, I feel cold and clammy.. I know to eat. Waking up from a dead sleep at 3am with those symptoms is NO fun! Usually a cup of milk and some PB or cheese and crackers helps.
The bad part about your fasting being high (for me it was between 110 and 120, high since it's supposed to be around 90) is that it takes awhile for your BS to regulate so your two hour test after breakfast is high.
I finally got in to see a dietitian and her suggestion was moving the NPH to just before bed. When I mentioned it to my OB he said I could go ahead and try. I did on Feb 1. Today he was astounded at my fasting and breakfast blood sugar. They have consistently been between 80 and 90. My breakfast has been between 110 and 120. PERFECT! I was so excited. The one high fasting I had was when I forgot my bedtime snack and ended up crashing at 4am.
So, there you go. That is one of my first lessons from being on insulin. I said I would try to keep you all informed as to what I am learning.
Be Blessed!

4 comments:

  1. I will be praying that you stay in the perfect range.

    Lily Grace will only grow lovelier and stronger in such a blessed environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am praying for you to. =) You have totally helped to inspire me! I also saw Oprah the other day (who I don't really like), but it was on diabetes. It was SUCH a wake up call for me! My dad is a diabetic and many of the symptoms or cautions they had on there I have. So, because of you, and that show I am on a new path to watch my sugar intake and get moving!! =)

    Love,
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, sorry - guess I thought my e-mail would show up -
    (dlparsons2002@lycos.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I just found your blog from Generation Cedar. Wish I had earlier. My daughter-in-law is pregnant and diabetic, on the two kinds of insulin. She's due in November and just now saw a dietician yesterday and starts classes. She thinks it's because she thinks the OB thinks she will continue to be diabetic even after the baby's born. They're soon going to start doing the scans and non stress tests. If you've got any specific stuff you don't get into on your blog, I'd love to hear from you (if you have time, that is - enjoy that new baby !)
    Donna

    ReplyDelete