Monday, September 7, 2009

Is it just me?

I have never been able to tune my children out. I hear everything they say from three rooms away and if they are whispering I find myself yelling at them to speak up. LOL
While my husband can't hear them fighting in the same room he is in, I can hear them fighting when they are at grandma's house. Ok, maybe not, but it seems like I can.
One time I got on to the girls for dancing instead of doing schoolwork. I was in another room. My oldest started crying. Not thinking I was too harsh in my words of correction I asked her why she was upset.
"How did you know we were dancing? You were in the other room!" she wailed.
The distress of finding out your mom really does have eyes all over the house was just to much for her.
I informed her that a mom knows everything. It was one of the most triumphant moments of my life as a parent. I never let on that I sent a little spy into the room when I heard some weird noises. Some secrets moms just have to keep.
On the other hand, being able to hear everything is sometimes stressful. I envy my friend who can have a van full of children and not hear the horrible (not in a bad way, but come on they are 11 and 12 year old girls) conversations coming from the back. Or maybe she has just learned to be more laid back and ignore them. Quiet frankly about 1.2 minutes of hearing about how great the Jonas brothers are is more than enough from me.
Imagine my 12 year olds surprise when we got back from that trip and I told her she needed to find something else to talk about because I was done hearing about the brothers.
Sometimes I wish I could be a tune them out mom. Then I remember that God has entrusted these kids to me . I have to train them up and if I don't know what they are thinking about then how will I know which direction to take them in spiritually?
I am my husband's helpmeet so I need to be aware of what's going on with my kids so I can let him know. Men aren't wired to multi-task or to hear everything.
So I guess I will be ok with hearing it all. Sometimes it's very amusing. Like the theological discussions my two boys have. I love to hear them playing legos and my six year old preaching to my three year old about the dangers of hell. Yes, I do believe we are raising a little George Whitfield. Where do these kids get this from?? LOL

Be Blessed!

2 comments:

  1. I can't tune my kids out either ~ you're not the only one! I think it's just an innate gift God gives us as mothers. My girls always say ask one another (after I leave the room) "how DOES she do that?"

    You're so right ~ we cannot direct them without knowing where they're going ~ many times this "gift" comes in handy for such things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori, I count that as one of the "fun" parts of parenting. LOL

    Allison, welcome to my blog. Im glad you enjoyed it. Congratulations on your adoption. It's a.. journey. :)

    ReplyDelete