Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Ground Beef Post


This week we are a little short on cash but we have a freezer full of ground beef. I sat down and thought of cheap meals we could have out of the pantry.
Here is the list I came up with:
Spaghetti: I buy tomato sauce and stewed and diced tomatoes at Costco by the case so we always have enough on hand to make pasta sauce. Spices and brown sugar finished off the sauce. Last time we were at Costco they had Whole Wheat pasta by the case so I picked up three cases.
Chili: I buy bags of beans and cook and freeze them all the time. So we have kidney beans in the freezer. The cases of Tomatoes and sauce come in handy here as well. Just add the ground beef and spices and top with a little cheese, that we also buy in bulk and the it's dinner time. I have cornmeal so I will probably make corn muffins to go with the chili.
Shepherd's Pie: Frozen mixed vegetables, some BBQ sauce, ground beef, mashed potatoes, and cheese.
Poor Man's Stroganoff and frozen broccoli: Whatever noodles I have on hand, ground beef, sour cream, mushrooms, and mozzarella cheese. It's much better than it sounds. :)
Hamburgers and baked beans: ground beef, dried onions, garlic powder, Worcester sauce mixed together and made into a patty. Topped with cheese and tomato on a hamburger bun.
"Hamburger Helper" and frozen corn: my own mix. Diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, some spices, ground beef, and shredded cheddar all mixed together with whatever noodles I have on hand.
Of course if we get tired of eating off of our ground beef stash I also have lentils and black beans and rice that I could make.
We go to Costco about every two-three months and stock up on meat, cheese, and tomato products. Sometimes we get other stuff but so far those are the things that seem to be the cheapest at Costco. It's amazing with those three things on hand how many meals I can make.
I get our rice and pasta there sometimes. I love their frozen broccoli and we get a few bags of that, but we don't really like a lot of the other frozen veggies there.
At the store yesterday all I had to buy was frozen veggies, two packs of lentils, sour cream, eggs, a couple of tomatoes, flour, grits, tortillas, hamburger buns, and bread.
I have not gotten back into making our bread yet so I still buy the best I can at the grocery store.
Just a little peek into our menu for the week. :)
Be Blessed!

3 comments:

  1. we do poor man's stroganoff also but we put a can of cream of mushroom soup in the cooked meat/onion mixture. Then when heated through, we turn heat off and add sour cream. dish it over rice...YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your menu sounds great and doesn't sound like you are lacking at all. It looks like a litst I would have regardless of being a little tight on the budget or not. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound very industrious. I like to make my meat go a long way too. We do a lot of casseroles and such with chicken as well so we can stretch the food budget. But, your meals sound great...whether you are on a tight budget or not! Blessings, Jackie

    ReplyDelete